What Are Your Best Breast Implant Options?
July 05, 2023 | 6 minute read
5 Minute Read:
Many women are dissatisfied with the size or shape of their breasts. You may feel like they’re too small in proportion to the rest of your body or appear asymmetrical. Or, perhaps significant weight loss or breastfeeding has changed their shape, leaving you with a “deflated” look. No matter what your reason for considering breast augmentation surgery, Town and Country Plastic Surgeons and Med Spa has you covered.
Breast augmentation involves more than just increasing the size of your breasts. There are several things to take into account as you decide to undergo surgery, which is why the highly trained and experienced board-certified surgeons at Town and Country take their time with your consultation. They will put you at ease by getting to know you and your goals so that you can make your breast enhancement decisions with confidence.
Breast Implant Size
As you may be aware, implants come in a wide range of sizes. From 100cc to 800cc and everything in between, you’re sure to find the size that’s right for you. When choosing implant volume, some of the things to consider include:
- Desired look
- Existing breast size
- Nipple position
- Width of your natural breast
- Breast tissue elasticity
Your surgeon will address each of these factors at your consultation. This will include a thorough examination so that they can better create a truly customized treatment plan that achieves your aesthetic goals.
Breast Implant Type
The FDA has approved two types of breast implants for use in the United States: saline and silicone. Both types of implants have a silicone shell, but vary in shape, size, surface texture, and fill.
- Because they are empty when placed, they require smaller incisions that can be easily hidden
- Saline solution can be added or removed according to your preferences
- Saline implants typically cost less than silicone
- If a rupture occurs, saline absorbs harmlessly into your body and the rupture is detected immediately
- They have a firmer texture than silicone, so they don’t feel as natural
- Saline implants are rounder than silicone, giving them a less natural appearance
- They’re more apt to “ripple,” making it easy to tell you’ve had augmentation, especially if you are thin
- Silicone implants more accurately mimic the look and feel of a natural breast
- They come in several shapes and sizes to create a more customized look
- Silicone implants are softer to the touch than saline
- They are better for women with less breast tissue
- Silicone implants cost more than saline
- Ruptures, while still harmless, are harder to detect
- They require a slightly larger incision for placement
Both saline and silicone implants are safe, and the decision of which implant is best for you depends on your unique goals and needs. Our surgeons at Town and Country Plastic Surgeons and Medspa will help find the right implant for you.
Breast Implant Placement
Breast implants are placed either under the glandular tissue but over the pectoral muscle (known as subglandular placement) or under both the glandular tissue and the pectoral muscle (known as submuscular placement).
Placement of the implant depends on your desired look and other contributing factors such as existing breast size, the necessity of a lift, and upper breast fullness. The most common implant placement is submuscular, as it provides a more natural appearance.
Breast Implant Incision Type
While there are several options for incision placement with breast augmentation, at Town and Country, we typically use the following types:
- Periareolar incisions: These incisions are made along the bottom half of your areolas, minimizing visible scarring. These incisions are typically used for small or medium-sized breast implants.
- Inframammary incisions: These incisions also offer low visibility of scars, as they are placed along the natural crease under your breast. This type of incision is suitable for any size implant insertion. This is the preferred location by our surgeons.
Other Considerations for Breast Implant Surgery
When you come in for a consultation with Dr. Yarish or Dr. Bartlett, they’ll talk with you about your goals and desired results, and offer recommendations for the right implant for you.
Some of the things we take into consideration include:
- Height and body type
- Existing breast size vs. desired breast size
- Desired shape of your breast
- Need for a breast lift
- Chances of future weight gain or loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding
Once they’ve established which implant type, size, and placement will provide you with the enhanced body shape you’re looking for, your journey to renewed confidence can begin.
Fat Grafting to the Breasts
For those interested in natural breast enhancement without a breast implant, fat transfer to the breasts may be a viable option. The procedure involves harvesting fat from areas of your body using liposuction. The fat is then purified and transferred to your breasts.
After about six weeks, the fat that is maintained should be permanent.
Suitable candidates for fat grafting to the breasts include:
- Those who do not want a permanent implant
- Desire a natural breast enhancement of one half to one full cup size
- Have enough donor fat to transfer to the breasts
- Have a suitable breast pocket to accept fat transfer
It is important to know that it takes about six weeks for the fat to settle in your breasts. Roughly half of the fat will take, and your body will naturally eliminate the other half.
What stays after the breasts have settled should be yours for life and will act like the fat from which it came. For example, if you typically gain weight from your thighs and you gain weight after fat transfer to your breasts, your breast size may enlarge. Because fat cells can only grow and divide and not naturally be eliminated, what stays in your breasts should be permanent.
Learn More About Breast Augmentation in Houston and Lake Jackson
For the highest quality plastic surgeons in the town (Houston) and the country (Lake Jackson), look no further than Town and Country Plastic Surgery and Med Spa. Dr. Yarish and Dr. Bartlett are here to provide their extensive expertise in breast augmentation surgery so that you leave our care thrilled with your new shape and ready to wear all of the flattering outfits you’ve been eyeing. Call us today at 281-326-9239 (Houston) or 979-202-8515 (Lake Jackson) to schedule a consultation, or fill out our online contact form.